• January 17The Freshmen are coming! The Freshmen are coming!! The Freshmen are coming!!!

Eagle Eye News

A “beautiful” story

Senator Richard Durbin stopped by Juarez to chat with our student Navigators and Dreamers. The navigators traveled to stand with the senator in the hopes of getting the Dream Act passed as a call to action.

Melissa Hernandez and Hector Quintana

On September 5, 2017, Trump officially issued that the government will be discharging DACA and placing it in congress’s hands. Where will all the dreamers go now?

“The removal of the program was just straight up cruel. Trump wasn’t even trying to hide or be low key racist. It was high key racism.” stated, testing coordinator Mr Ruiz. Ruiz’s reaction was a bit unclear but you could tell there wasn’t any shock that Trump was being unfair to those who are seeking a better life in the U.S.

Dreamers have come so far to do great things with their lives. To work with no limits is what they wish.

“It allows students to have an opportunity to in school. To have a work permit, to work without fear,” said Mr. Diaz, college coach.

Diaz added that DACA provided safety to undocumented students so that they can work with no limits but now that it is gone they have to go in hiding.

Not only is it about the cruelty behind the removal of DACA and the limited work availability for dreamers but it is also about the division and the belittling of the entire Latino/Hispanic race. Mr. Ocon, the principal of Benito Juarez,  had a lot to say about the situation.

“It’s like we [Latinos] are being treated like secondary class citizens. It is disrespectful and inhumane,” said Ocon.

Ocon had a lot of experience with documentation and knows the struggle of coming to an unknown country with limited resources for survival.

“No one should be afraid of getting their voice heard. Our story is beautiful. I don’t need someone else to tell my story,” said Mr. Ocon.

There are places of sanctuary where you can openly talk to or get in action such as: La Casa, counselors located in 205, and other faculty and staff at Juarez.