• January 17The Freshmen are coming! The Freshmen are coming!! The Freshmen are coming!!!

The student news site of Benito Juarez Community Academy

Eagle Eye News

Behind the Music: Hidden truths of the musician lifestyle

Daniel Gallegos, Staff Reporter

Whether it’s on the radio, the internet, or in the background at a public place, there’s no denying that music is everywhere we go. Music has been at the forefront of human cultures for thousands of years, and now people get to play for a living. However, there are plenty of people who try to pursue their passion for music, but don’t make it. What separates the legends from the wannabes? And what goes on when musicians aren’t playing on stage?

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time,” (Leonard Bernstein).

Roger Moreno, lead singer and founder of Ship Captain Crew, a rising band in the Chicago music scene, shone some light on how it really is.

“It’s gruesome. When you’re starting out, you have to balance life, school, work, and music. You’re always forced to focus on one of those things, and the rest suffer from it. Once you get going, everything changes. All the hard work becomes worth it. It beats the typical nine-to-five lifestyle any day”.

Ship Captain Crew live at the Vans Warped Tour in 2015.

Amanda Huerta Photography

“I think it’s very chaotic,” says Annabell Bahena, a music enthusiast from Juarez High School, “You gotta run from fans, if you actually make it that big. You kinda lose your privacy at times, and you have to be careful not to sell out yourself.”

The infamous term  ‘sellout’, describes a person in the music industry who is only doing things for the money. Sellouts are criticized because people believe that the musician has changed his or her motivation. People believe that sellouts only do things for the money.

“You’re doing music because you love it. You’re not doing it for the money. So, you have to keep reminding yourself, ‘I’m doing this for the love of it, not just to make some cash.” Annabell continued,  “As a YouTuber, you’re barely starting off, so you kinda have to reach out to companies to get sponsored. You don’t have as much networking as an artist does. So, I think it’s more important for a YouTuber to do it. And as a musician, well, I never thought about that.”
So, as it turns out, there’s a lot of things people don’t consider when thinking of musicians. Here’s to the ones who have made it, the ones who have managed to survive the chaotic lifestyle that comes with the amazing opportunity to follow your musical passion.

Amanda Huerta Photography