• January 17The Freshmen are coming! The Freshmen are coming!! The Freshmen are coming!!!

The student news site of Benito Juarez Community Academy

Eagle Eye News

The NBHD

The+Neighbourhood
The Neighbourhood

The Neighbourhood

The Neighbourhood

Guadalupe Rociles, Staff Reporter

The Neighbourhood

The Neighbourhood

“I hate the beach, but I stand in California with my toes in the sand…”

These lyrics sound familiar? Well if you haven’t been living under a rock for the past couple of months then you have probably heard this song (“Sweater Weather”) and maybe even sang along to it on the radio. Chances are you have no clue who the band is or any other songs by them. Well I can help with that.

living under a rock for the past couple of months then you have probably heard this song (“Sweater Weather”) and maybe even sang along to it on the radio. Chances are you have no clue who the band is or any other songs by them. Well I can help with that.

The Neighbourhood (A.K.A. “THE NBHD”) is an American band that mixes atmospheric indie rock with hip-hop and R&B stylings. They were formed in August 2011. The band is made up of vocalist Jesse Rutherford, guitarists Jeremy Freedman and Zach Abels, bassist Mikey Margott and drummer Brandon Fried. They released two EPs, “I’m Sorry…” and “Thank You”. In early 2012, The Neighbourhood released songs “Female Robbery” and “Sweater Weather”. They then released their first full length album, “I Love You.”, on April 23, 2013. It debuted at number 39 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. “Sweater Weather”, as their lead single, topped the charts in early June 2013, reaching number 1 on Billboard’s alternative chart and breaking the top ten on Billboard Heatseekers chart.

Now that you have some background on them I can tell you how amazing they are. I, along with my best friend, attended their concert on March 24 at Riviera Theatre. It was a sold out show so we were very crowded, but that did not ruin the mood, in fact, it only fueled us more. However, the two open acts, Born Casual and Kitten, sort of deflated our mood a little. It is not that they were terrible, they were actually pretty good, but you could not hear any of the vocals during their part and that kind of ruined it. Once The NBHD came out all was fine and they were incredible. I mean not only are they easy on the eye, but Jesse is an amazing live singer. Additionally, Jesse made sure to walk around the stage so everyone got a chance to see. He also interacted with the crows which made it even more special and alive. The rest of the band members had really high energy that was contagious and played amazingly. I would definitely go to another one of their concerts and I definitely recommend going to one of their concerts if indie rock is your thing.

Make sure to check out their website, http://thenbhd.com/ , to learn more about them and hear some of their songs.