• January 17its january

The student news site of Benito Juarez Community Academy

Eagle Eye News

Undercover or a criminal?

Jian Gao, Staff Reporter

Sleeping Dogs is a video game about the underworld of organized

If you were to choose either the good side or the bad side, what would you decide? Sleeping Dogs, is a free roaming action adventure video game developed by United Front Games and Square Enix London. The game was originally called True Crime: Hong Kong in 2009; however the makers and producers of the series game of True Crime kept having too many problems with the development. As a result, they canceled the production in 2011, then a couple months later, Square Enix London took the publishing rights to the game and renamed it as Sleeping Dogs. In August 13-14 2012, Sleeping Dogs was released in North America.

Sleeping Dogs takes place in modern day Hong Kong, China with in over-the-shoulder and third person point of view. The game is about an undercover cop named Wei Shen is trying crack down

the Triads (Chinese gangs), specifically the Sun On Yee (Sun Yee On in real life). While he is in jail, he comes across his childhood friend named Jackie Ma. Both of them grew up in a neighborhood of Old Prosperity; Wei wanted to join the Sun On Yee (this is part of undercover job in order to bring it down). Wei met a Red Pole (Senior member of the gang), Winston Chu, who’s the leader of the Water Street Gang (part of the Sun On Yee branch). As Wei proves his loyalty to the Triads, he slowly becomes the Red Pole. Because of his experience and relationship with the Sun On Yee, he really becomes part of the Triads. After a while, the conflict in the Sun On Yee increases with the power hungry Henry “Big Smile” Lee trying to be control of the Sun On Yee while having another conflict with the 18k (14k in real life and it’s another Triad groups).

I played Sleeping Dogs and I got to said it was the best game. I’ve been to Hong Kong before, and the landscape of the game was almost the same as in real life. This game when I played for the first time, it brings back a lot of memories. Also, the conflict keeps on rising even in the ending; I love the fact there is so much action that I wish the game should be made into a movie it. I would rate the game 5 stars out of 5 because of nostalgia for me, more conflict, action, and authentic to the real life. So if you want to found out the plot of the stories or interested in action adventure, this is for you. BUT! I must warn you that this game is rated M due to containing of drug reference, graphic gore violence, and foul language; there maybe sexually suggestive, but there’s NO nudity involved (sorry guys, if you are looking forward for nudity, then this isn’t really for you). So check it out and enjoy the game.